[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Introduction of turns

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Introduction of turns
From: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:14:00 -0400

Christian Knoke wrote:

> Am Montag, 27. August 2001 19:05 schrieb Raimar Falke:
> > On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 12:52:34PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> > > The client currently displays the Game year to the user, so I am
> > > not sure I understand why an additional mechanism is needed to send
> > > this.
> > >
> > > Is there some point in processing where the year can change in ways
> > > that the client won't pickup (immediately)? Is this what is being
> > > fixed?
> >
> > As pointed out before it is easier for client side ai planing to
> > handle with turns instead of years. It may be possible to calculate
> > the current turn from the current year but a far easier solution is
> > to add a field to struct civ_game and two packets.
>
> These agents do some clever things, but can't simply count the turns ??
>
> It seems to be bad design to have both turns and years. If you really
> need the absolute turn number (from the beginning), you should send the
> turn number and compute the year.

To me it seems bad design to have the client attempt to calculate the
number of turns from the year value (or vice versa).  If the time system
is changed in the future, this will cease to work.

Having the server tell the client about the turn value (which is needed
for effective client-side AI) seems like the proper solution.

> BTW, you are going to break backward compatability with this, right?

It should be covered by the appropriate capability, right?

jason