[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Introduction of turns

To: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Introduction of turns
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 08:45:06 +0200

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 05:02:37PM -0500, Tony Stuckey wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 07:23:42AM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > The client have to know it is now in turn 0 (==-4000) or in turn 84
> > (==375). If some code plan like "it will take 4 turns to reach the
> > position and 3 turns to construct a railroad and we started in turn 40
> > and have turn 46 the settler must be finished" it can assert that in
> > turn 46 the settler really is finished. If the settler is still
> > working there is a bug somewhere.
> >
> > The current agent code store a plan like above to know what to do.
> >
> > Yes the client can increase the turn every time it gets a new year
> > packet from the server. However how does the server knows the current
> > turn after a savegame is loaded and how will the server tell this the
> > client.
>
>       Absolute numbering of turns probably isn't necessary, differential
> should be enough.

So please tell me what is your proposal. IMHO there is no way to avoid
saving the turn to the savegame. A completely other approa ch would be
a year_to_turn() method. But this method can not be implemented since
the year per turn aren't deterministic (at least for the client).

>       But yes, there are no defined functions for things like
> years_per_turn(), turns_until_game_year(), etc.  Given that the original
> Civ2 game also supported month-based turn times, that would be a capability
> that should be kept in mind by anyone implementing this.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format. After