[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Introduction of turns

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Introduction of turns
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:02:37 -0500

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 07:23:42AM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> The client have to know it is now in turn 0 (==-4000) or in turn 84
> (==375). If some code plan like "it will take 4 turns to reach the
> position and 3 turns to construct a railroad and we started in turn 40
> and have turn 46 the settler must be finished" it can assert that in
> turn 46 the settler really is finished. If the settler is still
> working there is a bug somewhere.
>
> The current agent code store a plan like above to know what to do.
>
> Yes the client can increase the turn every time it gets a new year
> packet from the server. However how does the server knows the current
> turn after a savegame is loaded and how will the server tell this the
> client.

        Absolute numbering of turns probably isn't necessary, differential
should be enough.
        But yes, there are no defined functions for things like
years_per_turn(), turns_until_game_year(), etc.  Given that the original
Civ2 game also supported month-based turn times, that would be a capability
that should be kept in mind by anyone implementing this.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."