Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cityname patch

To: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cityname patch
From: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:54:00 +0100

söndagen den 25 februari 2001 13:17 skrev Raimar Falke:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 07:52:43AM +0100, Erik Sigra wrote:
> > lördagen den 24 februari 2001 23:27 skrev Raimar Falke:
> > > Where do you want to use lisp?
> >
> > I could imagine to use lisp for rulesets, server commands and namers for
> > example.
>
> AFAIK XML coult be used for rulesets.

Certainly.

> It is also more modern.

You want something modern? Just go out and buy the hippest set of cloths you
can get ;-)

> I didn't say better.

That is the real question.

> IMHO the current rulesets and server commands are fine.

Someone might want something more flexible (see the example in an earlier of
my posts in this thread). I would for example want a common format for thoose
two.

> I don't see a reason for changings this.

Trust me. There are reasons. I can see them. Given enough research, you might
as well.

> What are namers exactly?

To say it short, a namer is a GDL form. For mor information, see the earlier
posts about city name generation, compound city names, cityname patches (test
the latest one) and Xconq. See also the post on the Apolyton Freeciv Forum
(http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum37/HTML/000066.html?4). Most Importantly,
see the Xconq game design manual at
<http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/manual/xcdesign_49.html>. Then download the
Xconq sources and read them.

If you don't know about Xconq GDL, you don't know about wehter it is better
than XML or not.