Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cityname patch

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cityname patch
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:15:57 +0100

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 01:54:00PM +0100, Erik Sigra wrote:
> söndagen den 25 februari 2001 13:17 skrev Raimar Falke:
> > >
> > > I could imagine to use lisp for rulesets, server commands and namers for
> > > example.
> >
> > IMHO the current rulesets and server commands are fine.
>
> Someone might want something more flexible (see the example in an earlier of
> my posts in this thread). I would for example want a common format for thoose
> two.
>
> > I don't see a reason for changings this.
>
> Trust me. There are reasons. I can see them. Given enough research, you might
> as well.
>
> > What are namers exactly?
>
> To say it short, a namer is a GDL form. For mor information, see the earlier
> posts about city name generation, compound city names, cityname patches (test
> the latest one) and Xconq. See also the post on the Apolyton Freeciv Forum
> (http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum37/HTML/000066.html?4). Most Importantly,
> see the Xconq game design manual at
> <http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/manual/xcdesign_49.html>. Then download the
> Xconq sources and read them.
>
> If you don't know about Xconq GDL, you don't know about wehter it is better
> than XML or not.

I read the above except the Xconq sources ;-)
Lets see if I understood this correctly:
 - GDL is a grammar and heavily use by Xconq
 - GDL is a subset of the normal lisp grammar
 - some people (at least Erik and Stan) what to adapt GDL to freeciv
 - the GDL engine (parser and interpreter) has to be "ported" to freeciv
 - some people want to use (Xconq's) GDL programs for freeciv (city
   naming)
 - it is possible to use GDL also for stuff where no GDL programs
   exists (for example as another savegame format)

My opinions:
 - nice idea to use a expandable structured data format
 - nice idea to use the experience of Xconq
 - since this isn't a small decision some more people should comment
   on this
 - what are this c*r() methods?
 - it would be good if an extern lisp parser/interpreter is used. This
   should reduce the maintenance burden for freeciv.
 - if this isn't possible please seperate the GDL, city naming and
   freeciv code. The interfaces should be clear.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  reality.sys corrupt. Reboot Universe? (y,n,q)