Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cityname patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cityname patch
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:50:58 +0100

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 01:17:12PM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:

> > I could imagine to use lisp for rulesets, server commands and namers for
> > example.
>
> AFAIK XML coult be used for rulesets. It is also more modern. I didn't
> say better. IMHO the current rulesets and server commands are fine. I
> don't see a reason for changings this. What are namers exactly?

XML is a more expressive format: like Lisp, and unlike the existing
ruleset format,it can express arbitrarily nested structures, and the
existing format can not.  There are already 'hacks' in the rulesets to
express nested datastructures.

Another advantage is having a true and trusted document format.
The ruleset format is not really well-defined; it does not really
have a clear convention for comments.  With XML, you know exactly
what is well-formed and what isn't.  This is not really an advantage
of the XML format, it is an advantage of using known and tested
processing software, so this would mean that Freeciv would use an
existing, stable XML processing library.

--
Reinier