Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cityname patch

To: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cityname patch
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:50:01 +0100

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 10:22:33PM +0100, Erik Sigra wrote:
> söndagen den 25 februari 2001 21:15 skrev Raimar Falke:
> > I read the above except the Xconq sources ;-)
>
> I was not specific enough. The most interesting part is the file
> "kernel/mknames.c" (the functions at the end).

These are the functions which evaluate the given (city naming) tree.

> > Lets see if I understood this correctly:
> >  - GDL is a grammar and heavily use by Xconq
>
> GDL is a simple Lisp implementation that is the most central part of Xconq.
> "grammar" is a naming method. "random" is another naming method.

I mean grammar as in computer science grammar. BNF, Chomsky(sp?) and so.

> >  - GDL is a subset of the normal lisp grammar
>
> I have no experience with "normal" lisp (I think it is called Common Lisp).
> GDL is the first Lisp implementation that I have worked with. I don't know if
> subset is the correct word.

Emacs also uses lisp. I don't know how "pure" this is?

> >  - it is possible to use GDL also for stuff where no GDL programs
> >    exists (for example as another savegame format)
>
> Xconq saves games in GDL.

Is this also planned for freeciv?

> >  - what are this c*r() methods?
>
> I asked Stan what thoose names are supposed to mean. Here is the answer I got:
> <http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xconq7/2001/msg00038.html>

"first" and "rest" is called head and tail in Prolog. I found this
intuitive.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "That's fundamental game play!  My main enemy is *ALWAYS* fighting