Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cityname patch

To: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cityname patch
From: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:22:33 +0100

söndagen den 25 februari 2001 21:15 skrev Raimar Falke:
> I read the above except the Xconq sources ;-)

I was not specific enough. The most interesting part is the file
"kernel/mknames.c" (the functions at the end).

> Lets see if I understood this correctly:
>  - GDL is a grammar and heavily use by Xconq

GDL is a simple Lisp implementation that is the most central part of Xconq.
"grammar" is a naming method. "random" is another naming method.

>  - GDL is a subset of the normal lisp grammar

I have no experience with "normal" lisp (I think it is called Common Lisp).
GDL is the first Lisp implementation that I have worked with. I don't know if
subset is the correct word.

>  - some people (at least Erik and Stan) what to adapt GDL to freeciv

Well at least me. Stan is busy with Xconq and doesn't care that much about
what goes into Freeciv.

>  - the GDL engine (parser and interpreter) has to be "ported" to freeciv

The part that is needed for city name generation is already ported. The state
of the port is "working code", which is not the same as "good code", which is
required.

>  - it is possible to use GDL also for stuff where no GDL programs
>    exists (for example as another savegame format)

Xconq saves games in GDL.

>  - what are this c*r() methods?

I asked Stan what thoose names are supposed to mean. Here is the answer I got:
<http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xconq7/2001/msg00038.html>