Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view

To: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:44:49 +0100

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 04:00:19PM +0200, Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:

> If you look a little you can see that methods 1) & 2) are compatible with each
> other, while 3) is it's own pattern.

Yes, I did say it's slightly different.  But it's still the case that
each tile has 8 neighbours, so they're locally topologically the same.

The global topology is slightly different.  Take the map in the
screenshot, rotate 45 degrees to the right, and shear slightly to
straighten the edges. Then you have one sqaue at the 'top', three
underneath, five underneath that, etc. Doing a very small version:

         #
        ###
       #####
      #######
       #####
        ###
         #

Then the 'global' toplogical weirdness is that the north-pole is the
top-right edge, the south-pole is the bottom-left edge, and the
bottom-right edge is connected to the top-left edge.

However, I still claim it wouldn't require huge changes to the current
client codes to support maps of this shape in addition to the existing
type of cylinder.  And while we're at it, we could add support for the
pseudo-spherical design which someone much brighter than me suggested
a couple of months back.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable