Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:53:23 +0200

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:
> At 2000/04/06 08:19 , Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:

> >> I don't think there are any necessary datachanges for the type of isometric
> >> view Civ2 uses where really only the map rendering that has changed.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Steve Hodge
> >
> >You would have to change the way the tiles are stored or the way you iterate
> >over them, right? By stored I mean that now they are a
> >malloc(map.xsize*map.ysize*sizeof(struct tile)), and finding a tile from this
> >is relatively straightforward.
> >
> >I would think that if we made an isometric map the obvious numbering (number
> >the y rows from top to buttom and the x from left to right) would make the
> >iterations over x and y in the current code invalid (am I wrong?). So either
> >you find an alternative numbering sceme that preserves the iterations
> >(basically tilting the world), or you change all occurences of iterations
> in the
> >code (with macros, since I think it would get ugly).
> >This would require a change in the way tiles are found from the map, which is
> >basically the structure change I was talking about, plus functions like
> >is_real_tile and map_adjust_x ect would have to be changed.
>
> Simply rotating the world shouldn't cause any server changes at all.  It's
> just a matter of how a client draws the map.

ahh; now I see what you mean. You do realize that thats not the way they do in
civ 2? The civ 2 map is horizontally aligned as you see it. The way you mean is
like in age of empires (as from pallav's email).
I was talking about doing it the civ 2 way.
screenshot
of civ 2
can be found at
http://apolyton.net/civ2/images/scrnshots/civ2/american_map(view1).gif

A way to reorganize the tiles to make it the civ2 way can be seen in the attach
fig drawing. (6x6 map)
This could be done with minimal server changes (but it would cause
incompatability to the old map type)

-Thue