Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:19:20 +0200

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000, Stephen Hodge wrote:
> Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> > How much of the work of implementing this is
> >
> > 1) drawing the tiles
> > 2) making server/datastructure changes
> > 3) making the actual drawing/focusing code
>
> I don't think there are any necessary datachanges for the type of isometric
> view Civ2 uses where really only the map rendering that has changed.
>
> Regards,
> Steve Hodge

You would have to change the way the tiles are stored or the way you iterate
over them, right? By stored I mean that now they are a
malloc(map.xsize*map.ysize*sizeof(struct tile)), and finding a tile from this
is relatively straightforward.

I would think that if we made an isometric map the obvious numbering (number
the y rows from top to buttom and the x from left to right) would make the
iterations over x and y in the current code invalid (am I wrong?). So either
you find an alternative numbering sceme that preserves the iterations
(basically tilting the world), or you change all occurences of iterations in the
code (with macros, since I think it would get ugly).
This would require a change in the way tiles are found from the map, which is
basically the structure change I was talking about, plus functions like
is_real_tile and map_adjust_x ect would have to be changed.

-Thue