Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view

To: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 16:26:54 +0100

[I wrote]

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 04:52:26PM +0200, Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> As I understand the pseudo-spherical design it would mean that the
> world became irregular, ie two tiles would sometimes share both
> corner and side. This would not be pretty in practice... (and
> definetly not compatible!)

Hmm.  Nope.  It would be locally regular at all points bar three. Most
squares have four distinct (linear) neighbours (plus four diagonal),
as you'd expect. The north and south pole squares only have two linear
neighbours and are their own neighbours down the other edge.

The weirdess is that there is a singularity along the equator too. I
don't particularly mind singularities at the poles -- they might
naturally be considered special cases. There are two squares on the
equator which are mutually neighbour twice.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the model is this:

 A  /\  B
   /\/\
  /\/\/\
  \/\/\/
   \/\/
 C  \/  D

With B connected to A and C connected to D.

Jules

PS Thue your line-wrap is too late.  Try wrapping at 76 or even 74, to
allow room for quoting. (I have rewrapped the above, emacs rocks...)

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable