Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view

To: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 23:36:46 +1000

Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Apr 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> ahh; now I see what you mean. You do realize that thats not the way they do in
> civ 2? The civ 2 map is horizontally aligned as you see it. The way you mean
> is
> like in age of empires (as from pallav's email).
> I was talking about doing it the civ 2 way.
> a screenshot of civ 2 can be found at
> http://apolyton.net/civ2/images/scrnshots/civ2/american_map(view1).gif

Yeah, you're right - my mistake. So I vote for the non-Civ2 way (to avoid
changes to the server).

> A way to reorganize the tiles to make it the civ2 way can be seen in the
> attach
> fig drawing. (6x6 map)
> This could be done with minimal server changes (but it would cause
> incompatability to the old map type)

I really would like to avoid _any_ server changes - that way we don't have to
throw away old maps or worry about client compatibility and it's very easy to
let people use whichever view they like best.

Regards,
Steve Hodge