Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view

To: Alexandre BERAUD <a_beraud@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:50:28 +0100

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 04:36:37PM +0200, Alexandre BERAUD wrote:
> The civ2 isometric view is a dummy thing, that doesn't fit with
> strategy simulations. I had much more pleasure playing Civ1 than Civ2,
> only because of this damn isometric view.
> There are many more important things to add (enhanced AI, diplomacy)
> than changing the tileset once again.

I agree with you, but if that's what Thue wants to work on, that's up
to him.  There's free software for you.

Remember, he is the one who finally coded the fog-of-war support we've
all been wanting, and that's an important piece of gameplay.

Also, funnily enough, although I used to agree with you entirely, I
*do* find now that eye-candy adds significantly to my enjoyment of a
game.  E.g. freecraft, which is nearly complete gameplay wise (
http://freecraft.org ) I don't find as 'intriguing' as I did warcraft
itself.  Similarly 'Heroes of Might and Magic' (there's a playable
demo for Linux released) I have spent a couple of hours playing.  It's
not really my kind of game -- too static -- but it would certainly be
far less fun without the eye-candy.  Part of the reason you keep
coming back is because you want to develop enough to build the new
exciting units, and see what they look like and how they attack.

But despite all that, the game I've spent more time playing than any
other must be angband, by a huge margin. Go figure.  One of these days
I'll write a www.essay on what makes a game playable ;-)

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable