Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view

To: a_beraud@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view
From: Stan Shebs <shebs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 08:03:58 -0700

Alexandre BERAUD wrote:

> The civ2 isometric view is a dummy thing, that doesn't fit with
> strategy simulations. I had much more pleasure playing Civ1 than Civ2,
> only because of this damn isometric view.

Isometric has at least one real advantage, in that by cutting the
vertical space in half, you can display twice as many tiles on the
screen.  You give up a few pixels of information in crowded
situations, when images overlap, but this is a worthwhile tradeoff,
especially for players with small screens.

Note that the modern generation of computer wargames (TOAW, West Front,
etc) have isometric vs overhead as a player-selectable display option.
Xconq has the option too, but the calcs to draw only visible tiles
are really heinous, especially for hexagons, and Xconq's code for this
is still buggy.

Stan