Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view

Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 12:37:10 +1000

Reinier Post wrote:

> > > I agree with you, but if that's what Thue wants to work on, that's up
> > > to him.  There's free software for you.
> >
> > But if people don't want the isometric view it isn't much fun... (or
> > productive)
>
> I don't want it, either, but many people do, judging by the number of times
> it's been brought up here, and by the poll results on www.freeciv.org.

If all we want is the 3D feel it could be done without changing the map
layout. Just compress the vertical axis (make the tiles rectangular) and let
the features in the tile overlap the tile above slightly. It won't look quite
as good, and the overlapping will obscure more than it does with an isometric
view, but it should be pretty simple to do. Attached is a simple drawing to
illustrate.

PNG image