Re: [Freeciv-Dev] ship goto bugs

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] ship goto bugs
From: Mark Nettle <markn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:25:30 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 14 May 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:

> Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
>
> > Reinier Post wrote:
>
> > >  + boats with sentried units passing through cities sometimes leave them
> > >    within the city; a general distinction between 'sentried' and 'aboard
> > >    ship X' would be useful here but it deviates from Civ I/II
>
> > Also:
> >
> >  o Boats exiting a square containing other boats carrying passengers will
> > sometimes steal those passengers.  (A problem in Civ I as well, but fixed
> > in Civ II, IIRC.)
>
> Fixed how?  That is, what are the interface mechanics of deciding
> when/how units are bound/unbound to a ship?  Does it deal with
> ships moving through cities?  How?
>
> My guess is that the best thing would be to have a "load"
> command, which binds all available passengers to the ship,
> but I'm still thinking about exactly what the mechanics
> should be.

A more generic solution would be to allow army groups, and then moving a
passenger onto a ship could automatically make it part of a group (make
this a toggleable option ?). I believe Civ CTP has army groups. I'd do
this with a "Member of group #" property, where the group # might simply
be the unit # of the unit "leading" the group. You'ld need to be careful
when determining the leader of a group. Land units shouldn't lead navies
across the mountains. Faster units shouldn't be able to drag slower ones
along with them - though you could design troop carriers which do.

        Mark