Re: [Freeciv-Dev] ship goto bugs

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] ship goto bugs
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 15:34:39 +0200

  Mitch,

> Hmm, I always thought it was a feature.  Because of this, you
> could set up a chain of boats and ship units completely around
> the world in one turn, sort of like a railroad for the sea.

But this can always be achieved manually.  The problem is only in the
automation:  boats will automatically pick up as many sentried units
they can carry, chosen at random, from any tile they happen to pass.
This behaviour can be considered a 'feature' in that it influences
gameplay at times when agility is important, but it seems reasonable to
repair this especially when Civ II does it, too.  I don't think the
'automation' features are really part of the rules of the game,
anyway.  Furthermore, goto becomes unreliable (send a ship off to
a far continent, discover it's empty 10 turns later).

--
Reinier