Re: [Freeciv-Dev] ship goto bugs

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] ship goto bugs
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 07:13:11 -0500

Reinier Post wrote:

> 2 bug reports:
>
>  + boats with sentried units passing through cities sometimes leave them
>    within the city; a general distinction between 'sentried' and 'aboard
>    ship X' would be useful here but it deviates from Civ I/II
>
>  + boats on goto crash into enemy cities; from memory:
>    all boats near b, on goto to x, crash into C; C,D,D are enemy cities:

Also:

 o Boats exiting a square containing other boats carrying passengers will
sometimes steal those passengers.  (A problem in Civ I as well, but fixed
in Civ II, IIRC.)  It's occasionally nice to be able to tranship units at
sea this way, but more often it ticks you off by having the units snatched
away by a ship going in the wrong direction, adding two turns to the length
of their voyage even if you see it immediately.

 o A really frustrating problem that also occurs in both Civ I and Civ II,
and that I've only ever observed with boats, is that GOTO will send them
off in a truly stupid direction, apparently only when the destination is
just across the "world seam" from the boat's current location.  (If my
explanation is correct and it's too hard to fix, I would suggest marking an
"international date line" on the map at the seam's location, so you can see
where the seam is and be careful about giving GOTOs that cross it.)

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas