Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Jitterbug

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Jitterbug
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:47:39 +1000 (EST)

Paul Zastoupil wrote:

> Would anyone be interested if I installed jitterbug on www.freeciv.org?
>
> Would it be used?

Personally, I think we do need some system for tracking submitted
bug reports and patches.

Even if/when maintainers are good at keeping track of submitted
bugs/patchs (and its easy for some to slip through), I would
appreciate a centralised system which tracks the progress
(or otherwise) of each bug/patch.

So for each bug/patch one could find out the latest status,
whether there have been any tests/fixes/corrections/revisions
etc.  Ideally, anyone could add notes to the system, not just
maintainers.  So this would be useful for maintainers (keeping
better track of what has been submitted, revised, tested etc)
and also submitters and testers: seeing more about why a given
patch hasn't been checked in yet, what has/hasn't been tested,
etc.

(Aguably all such information should be posted to freeciv-dev,
but that hasn't tended to happen, and in any case its still
then easy to loose/overlook things.)

So yes, I would be interested, and would encourage use of such
a system.  And now that freeciv has its own dedicated server
it seems like a good opportunity to set something up.  (The
system we had briefly at LinuxCare suffered I think due to us
not have enough direct control over the setup.)

For completeness I feel I should raise the eternal open question
of whether we would be best served by Jitterbug, or Bugzilla, or
an installation of the Debian Bug Tracking System, or something
else.  But I have not strong opinion on that, and would prefer
any of the above in preference to nothing.

Regards,
-- David