Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2005:
[aclug-L] Re: MythTV et al (was Re: Ideas for June Meeting?)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: MythTV et al (was Re: Ideas for June Meeting?)
From: gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:06:44 -0500

On Jun 12, 2005, at 3:31 PM, Matt Pankratz wrote:

> Does the Hauppauge 250 do HDTV?  If not does anyone know of a good HDTV
> capable card that works with Myth?

your best bet would be to look thru the archives on the myth mailing
list ... i'm on it and have seen people having varying degrees of
success w/ HD ...

> ironrose said:
>> I recommend the Hauppauge 250 tuner card, it is the standard that
>> MythTV
>>  was made for.  The CPU needs to be about 2Gb or more.  I would
>> suggest
>> 512Mb of RAM.

this depends if you're having a dedicated backend or having your
frontend/backend on the same box ... if you split, your frontend can be
fairly light (only needs to be able to successfully decode the videos
and display them on the res you're using) and the "beef" goes in your
backend that goes down in the basement and can run as loud as it needs
to cool down the hardware :) ... i'm doing that and love having them
split ... have myth doing 540p on my frontend to my HDTV ... don't
really use any of the TV functions yet (i just got my network run and
rebuilt after buying a house [finally have a dedicated server room /
wiring closet!]), but hope to soon ... it works great for a movie/music
player, tho' ... both ripped and DVD movies running at 540p w/ AC/3 out
to my surround system ... all works great!  frontend is temporarily
running slack (w/ the 2.6 kernel) but will soon match the backend
that's running gentoo ...

-g-