Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2005:
[aclug-L] Re: Ideas for June Meeting?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Ideas for June Meeting?
From: gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 00:54:45 -0500

On Jun 10, 2005, at 11:48 PM, ironrose wrote:

> I haven't got around to putting the side panel back on.  It was so
> handy
> to lay extra parts on and so it never made it back to the side of the
> case.  I am thinking about moving the tuner to another pc to be the
> back-end and make this pc the front end.  The current pc is high-end
> enough to where it should handle the load fine, but I have another case
> that does a better job of cooling down the cpu that this case does.  I
> will also run the memory test.

is the case supported by lmsensors?  that's a great way to monitor temp
and be alerted if anything goes wrong ...

also, remember that some cases are designed to work the best with the
side panel on, so leaving it off may not make it cooler because air
flow wouldn't be optimal ...

i split up my myth frontend and backend recently (moved the backend to
a gentoo-based AMD system) and noticed a significant drop in
temperature of the former frontend/backend combo ... at the same time,
i even removed one of my extra fans!  i have one more i want to remove
and see what the temp is like, because i have a feeling it's the
loudest one (and my desktop machine could use the extra air movement)

-g-