Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2005:
[aclug-L] Re: MythTV et al (was Re: Ideas for June Meeting?)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: MythTV et al (was Re: Ideas for June Meeting?)
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:20:53 -0500

> causing a larger file size.  I don't want to record in HD, digital is
> fine with me and the files can be compressed.

I'm not sure what you're talking about... "I don't want to record in HD,
digital is fine"??  HD is digital.  (I guess some digital isn't HD... but
for all practical purposes related to this thread, it may as well be, as the
purpose for digital over analog is higher quality... and that quality will
be there whether the broadcast conforms to standard HDTV spec, or some other
digital format).

> Analog recording is ok, it doesn't look that great and it doesn't have
> compression.  I plan on connecting a digital box to my MythTV box so
> that I can get recording in digital.  ~Anne

By analog recording, are you refering to VHS?  B/c if you mean just
recording an analog source (i.e. standard cable or broadcast TV), it is
recorded as digital on a computer (a computer understands nothing else), and
therefore it does (or at least can) have compression.

-- Jonathan