Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2005:
[aclug-L] Re: MythTV et al (was Re: Ideas for June Meeting?)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: MythTV et al (was Re: Ideas for June Meeting?)
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:58:48 -0500

ironrose wrote:

>Most people to record in HD also record in a higher resolution.

of course ... if i had the equip, i'd want to record 480p, 540p, 720p or
1080i all at their native res, not scale down and add artifacts ...

>  Many
>people who record HD programs on the DVR box find that the program can
>take 2 or 3 times the amount of hard drive space.  It is like a picture
>at 800x600 resolution is usually smaller that a picture at 1027x768
>resolution.

yes, exactly

>I don't want to record in HD, digital is
>fine with me and the files can be compressed.

?  the files from an HD recording can be compressed as well ... many
people on the myth list transcode from the native MPEG2 of many tv cards
to MPEG4, thus reducing the filesize ...

>Analog recording is ok, it doesn't look that great and it doesn't have
>compression.

? you can compress any kind of video, regardless of what media or
capture means it came from ...

-g-