Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2003:
Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jean Jordaan <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP
From: Robin Dunn <robin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:29:12 -0700

John Goerzen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 04:25:50PM +0200, Jean Jordaan wrote:
>
>>GTK is available cross-platform, but I don't know how at home it is
>>on non-Unix platforms ..
>

> My understanding is: not very.  wxPython seems to be held in high regard,
> too.
>

>>>I may run this by comp.lang.python as well, but I expect I'd have a
>>>huge flamefest if I did, so I'd rather avoid that.
>>
>>It would be cool to get the input of the PythonLabs people and
>>others who may have threading experience. Isn't Twisted heavily
>>threaded? http://twistedmatrix.com/
>

> Actually, it appears to barely use threads at all.  But thanks to your
> pointer, I've been looking at it a lot this afternoon and have discovered
> two things:
>
> 1. It has an IMAP library

It's one of the others that Ducky at OSAF has looked at and wasn't too
pleased with it.  I don't know any details though.

> 2. Its architecture may factor the whole threading features problem out of
> existance (though not the threading bugs problem)

Yep, the asyncronous reactor model is very powerful for network based
apps.  I read somewhere that egroups (before Yahoo bought them) had an
app written in Python using this same design pattern that effectivly
handled servicing 10000 socket connections at once, in a single thread.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman