Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2003:
Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP
From: Jean Jordaan <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:25:50 +0200

Some notes from the Python camp ..

> 2. imaplib.py (part of the standard Python distro) is highly unwieldy
>    and needs to be rewritten.

I would LOVE to have a rewritten imaplib in the standard distro! There
is the opportunity to make things better for a lot of Python users,
even if they don't know anything about OfflineIMAP.

> 3. Python-Tk (Tkinter) is showing signs of trouble with multithreaded
>    apps and is not the best for non-Unix platforms.  wxPython may be
>    better here.

There's also Kiwi: http://www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi/

"""
Kiwi is a graphical framework for developing applications with graphical user
interfaces. It's a set of classes and wrappers for PyGTK that were developed to
provide a sort of framework for applications. Roughly modeled on Smalltalk's
MVC, Kiwi is not just a research project: its intention is becoming a practical
and simple way to make building a UI the easiest and clearest possible.
"""

GTK is available cross-platform, but I don't know how at home it is
on non-Unix platforms ..

> I may run this by comp.lang.python as well, but I expect I'd have a
> huge flamefest if I did, so I'd rather avoid that.

It would be cool to get the input of the PythonLabs people and
others who may have threading experience. Isn't Twisted heavily
threaded? http://twistedmatrix.com/

--
Jean Jordaan
http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za