Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2003:
Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP

To: Jean-Michel Hiver <jhiver@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP
From: Martijn Pieters <mj@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:50:41 -0400

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 03:21:09PM +0100, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> > I have considered other programming languages too.  The only other real
> > contender is Perl, and Perl is just totally unsuited to an application of
> > this size and complexity IMHO
>
> Why?

I'll assume John's reasons for this are the same as mine: Perl is simply not
suitable for large projects due to it's tendency to become unmaintainable. I
know that with extensive style rules you can mitigate this somewhat, but
Perl's syntax and There Is More Than One Way To Do It philosophy are working
against it when scaling beyond simple programs.

FOr what it is worth: I am a Perl-to-Python convert. I have worked on large
Perl projects and I am more productive for the switch.

--
Martijn Pieters