Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2003:
Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP
From: Akkana Peck <akkana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:18:39 -0700

Sorry for the "metoo", but I agree with those who say that JDKs are
heavyweight and installing them can be painful on linux.  It would be
a bummer if offlineimap became dependant on java; I'd probably end up
keeping an old python version around (my own private fork) for machines
where I hadn't gotten around to hassling with JDKs yet.

I also agree with the people who don't really care about the gui.
It's fun and flashy, but honestly I don't use it (it doesn't give
me the information I need).  The easily pluggable UIs are a really
nice feature of offlineimap and I hope that continues, so everyone
can have the sort of UI they want.

Rewriting python's imaplib would rock.  That has the potential to
help a lot of people and would sure help offlineimap usability.

I like python (makes for nice readable code), but if some other
language, like perl, makes offlineimap more robust and more maintainable
because of CPAN and better threading, it certainly won't stop me from
using offlineimap and occasionally contributing.

        ...Akkana