Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2003:
Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP
From: Sam Clegg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:58:59 +0100

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 05:45:02PM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> John Goerzen writes:
> > I'd like to ask a follow-up question while we're talking about meta issues:
> >
> >   What would be the best thing to do to get you personally involved with
> >   writing code for OfflineIMAP?
>
> (2) A better way of syncing folders that get UID validity problems,
> which happens all the time.  Removing the whole folder uses up a lot
> of bandwidth and I keep hoping I can find a more efficient way.
This problem completely disapeared for me when I switched from
wu-imapd to courier-imapd.

> (4) Tons of IMAP errors -- I never get through a full run without some
> IMAP errors, but I'm hoping your rewrite magically fixes that without
> my having to do any work. :-)  Still, I might be able to pitch in
> there you could suggest some way that other people could help.

Thats strange.  I havn't seen a single error like this using
either server.

> And here's a bigger one, a feature: mbox format rather than maildir.
> I don't know how much I care, I don't know how hard it would be,
> but mutt really doesn't do maildir all that well compared to mbox
> (there's the problem with new messages not getting marked properly,
> and there's the problem that it can't tell which folders you've visited
> recently, so any folder with a new message is considered new forever
> even if you just looked at it; also it generally seems quite a bit
> slower), so now and then I wonder whether it might be easier to try
> to write mbox support for offlineimap than to try to solve the
> problems associated with maildir and mutt.

I havn't seen these problems either (with 70 mailbox, 30 of which
recieve new mail), but it seems like a better idea to fix mutts
Maildir support.

sam
--
sam clegg