Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2003:
Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP

To: Jean Jordaan <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:16:00 -0500

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 08:47:42PM +0200, Jean Jordaan wrote:
> >   What would be the best thing to do to get you personally involved with
> >   writing code for OfflineIMAP?
>
> Without a doubt: keeping it in Python! And, which probably goes without
> saying, making it modular, since it would be the imaplib part of it
> that we would develop with.

I was going to quibble with this until I saw your s/making/keeping/ :-)

OK, I have heard that there are no Java defenders lurking here, so suffice
it to say I have yet to be convinced to go that way.  That said, it's been
written in Python for over a year and it hasn't stirred up coders yet :-)

Incidentally, for those keeping track at home: revision 1 of OfflineIMAP
was committed on June 18, 2002, with the single file COPYING.  I feel almost
slimy in a Solaris sort of way for going from 0.x to 4.x in the space of a
single year :-)

(At least OfflineIMAP doens't have 5 different version numbers all at
once...)