Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2003:
Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:12:06 -0500

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 10:46:17AM -0400, Martijn Pieters wrote:
> If you have any specific problems, please file bug reports, and I am sure
> the Python Labs people will have a good look. Solving problems with Python's
> thread support is important to us.

That I have done.  Here are some links to the bug reports I've filed or
watched:

  ("can't start new thread" error in 2.2.3)
  (core dumps in threading areas)
  (also spinlocking on PowerPC)
  (leaves thousands of zombies)
  also at http://python.org/sf/621548
  (exceptions when a thread exits in Python 2.3)
  also at http://python.org/sf/754449

Add to that the fact that Tkinter now leaks memory like an old sieve and has
other problems with threading:

  (daemon threads don't die with Tkinter -- or as I put it,
   "threads fail to die daemonically" -- sounds more evil, eh? <g>)

I believe Matthias has been forwarding these upstream into SourceForge.  At
least one of them Guido got involved and finally pointed the bloody finger
at pthreads library.  Which may be true, but doesn't change the fact that
the thing still doesn't work right :-)

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>                       www.complete.org