Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2003:
Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP

To: Jean Jordaan <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:44:33 -0500

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 04:37:34PM +0200, Jean Jordaan wrote:
> >>(MacOS X -- just double-click on the jar).
> >
> > On the other hand it would be a pain in Linux.
>
> I agree .. perhaps it's just a matter of familiarity, but juggling
> VMs and installing huge JDKs just because I want to run some small
> Java program has been irksome in the past.

I typically haven't found it to be that hard -- usually you can just untar
something and let it go these days.  Modern JVMs tend to be able to figure
out sensible classpaths automatically actually.  And there are some nice
systems like gcj/gij (that actually let one compile java to machine code),
but they don't support AWT, so they're out for this.  And Java just always
seems so much SLOWER than Python for anything interactive.