Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2003:
Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP

To: Jean Jordaan <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the future direction of OfflineIMAP
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:29:40 -0500

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 04:37:34PM +0200, Jean Jordaan wrote:
> > Personally I really don't see the point of having a GUI for a
> > tool such as offlineIMAP.
>
> Agree again. I've only ever started the GUI accidentally.

I should add at this point that I'd like to see the GUI do more in the
future than its present status of "letting me watch OfflineIMAP while taking
up less screen space than an xterm".  It should be able to let people turn
on and off particular accounts or folders for syncing while the program is
running, as well as provide a nice configuration wizard.

Having said that, these aren't features *I* need, but they are features that
I think people that are not necessarily part of this forum yet would like.
But -- that means it'll be awhile till they see them :-)

I'd like to see OfflineIMAP usable as everything from a cronned script to a
Curses program to a full-blown GUI application -- with a nice dock app for
KDE and Gnome showing the status of mail syncing...  but that's probably WAY
off.