Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Where's messages on Corel/Debian

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Where's messages on Corel/Debian
From: "Koji Hayakawa" <sylf00@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:54:31 -0500

Well, KDE could be a great environment.  It's just my personal opinion that
I don't like it too much:  on my slower end machine, the speed suffers:
something I hate to see on linux.

And KDE actually isn't a linux distributions like Corel, Debian, or RedHat.
Rather, it's a Desktop Environment, something that enhances your X Windows
experience.  The other popular desktop environment I see around is Gnome.

KDE works best with its own X window manager, kwm.  Gnome runs quite nicely
with a few major window managers, including Window Maker, Enlightenment, and
I believe Afterstep runs with Gnome too.  Cross between these environment
are possible too, but not too recommended for novice....  (or ever?)

Or you don't have to have either of these "desktop environments".  When I
run X, I only run Window Maker, and it works great for me.  And it runs fast
too, on P133.

Well, I might have gone too far with this slight off topic. but.....
If you are interested in KDE, then there are a few distributions that
packages KDE.  OpenLinux from Caldera comes to my head first.  Their
installation program is even based on KDE, and you might find that
appealing:  a true GUI based linux install  :)  Mandrake too sold its name
for using KDE as its default desktop system for a while.  Now all the other
major distributions, including RedHat, Suse, Turbolinux, Slackware, etc
bundles KDE as well, and it's quite easy to configure them out of box.  (Or
so I believe:  it's been a while since I've touched KDE...  or fresh install
of linux too)

But from what I've read so far from other people's post, it does look like
Corel Linux wouldn't be a best choice as to a first linux experience:  it's
harder to find support for it compared to RedHat or Debian.  If you are in
US, get a fresh restart with RedHat or Debian, and finding a help shouldn't
be a problem.  Suse might be a good choice in Europe, TurboLinux sure is
popular in Japan.

But if you decide to keep Corel Linux, then you really should stick to it
for a while, and get yourself familiarized with the system.  Then switching
over to other system won't be as painful.