Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Where's messages on Corel/Debian

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Where's messages on Corel/Debian
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:21:55 -0500

Dale W Hodge wrote:

As for KDE, it's a windowing manager, one of many.  As of version 2.x, Ithink
KDE is a quite nice window enviroment, albeit a bit of a resource hog. If you
could run Windows98, then you have enough hardware to run KDE 2.x.  I can show
KDE to friends that know nothing about Linux, and they feel right home.  Lighter
weight window managers like Windowmaker (my default manager) are much less
intuitive. GNOME seems to be improving, but so far isn't in my top two choices.

dwh

Dale, I'm a little confused.  Aren't GNOME and KDE called desktops while
windowmaker, enlightenment, sawfish, kwm, and ICE called window managers?  And
don't these window managers run under (or on top of ) GNOME or KDE?

If this is correct, what desktop do you use with windowmaker?  Straighten me
out.

bruce