Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Window Manager / Desktop Environment (used to be Where'

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Window Manager / Desktop Environment (used to be Where's messages on Corel/Debian)
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 08:33:07 -0500

> WindowMaker runs by itself.  It's a windows manager, just like olwm,
> Afterstep, fvwm, enlightenment, and blackbox.
> CDE, KDE, and Gnome are desktop environment, and they cannot run by
> themselves:  they need some window managers running behind them.
> KDE seems a bit like window manager, just because it is so closely
> integrated with their own window manager, kwm.
> I hope that clarifies something.

KDE 1.x (don't know about 2.x), GNOME, and possibly CDE (I don't know about
this one.) can be run with different window managers as long as they meet
certain feature set. (KDE requires more, and only kwin complies with it's 2.x
feature set.) Most applications don't require KDE or GNOME to be running so
if you have a slow box you can use a faster window manager. (Typing in kmail
under twm, in fact)

James Lancaster

btw, twm is possibly the best or near best for speed. Very minimalist.