Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Window Manager / Desktop Environment (used to be Where's m

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Window Manager / Desktop Environment (used to be Where's messages on Corel/Debian)
From: "Koji Hayakawa" <sylf00@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:59:21 -0500

WindowMaker runs by itself.  It's a windows manager, just like olwm,
Afterstep, fvwm, enlightenment, and blackbox.
CDE, KDE, and Gnome are desktop environment, and they cannot run by
themselves:  they need some window managers running behind them.
KDE seems a bit like window manager, just because it is so closely
integrated with their own window manager, kwm.
I hope that clarifies something.