Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Where's messages on Corel/Debian

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Where's messages on Corel/Debian
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:42:15 -0500

It looks like I may have been premature in pronouncing Corel as 'dead'. I
went back through my mail and re-read the items on Corel.  Corel has
significantly cut back their workforce that works on Linux and has announced
that they intend to sell off the Linux Division.  They have stated that they
wish to return to their 'core business' and to stop trying to 'compete with
Microsoft'.  To me, that says that Corel Linux's days are numbered.

As for KDE, it's a windowing manager, one of many.  As of version 2.x, I
think KDE is a quite nice window enviroment, albeit a bit of a resource hog.
If you could run Windows98, then you have enough hardware to run KDE 2.x.  I
can show KDE to friends that know nothing about Linux, and they feel right
home.  Lighter weight window managers like Windowmaker (my default manager)
are much less intuitive. GNOME seems to be improving, but so far isn't in my
top two choices.

Your choice of distribution will depend what level of 'hand holding' you
prefer.  They are, from difficult to easy (IMO), Slackware - Debian -
RedHat - Mandrake.  I'm not sure where SuSE fits in, probably the same as
RedHat.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx