Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Where's messages on Corel/Debian

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Where's messages on Corel/Debian
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:18:50 -0500

Koji Hayakawa wrote:

> find / | grep messages
> find / | grep syslog

  find / -name messages -o -name syslog

would be more efficient. If slocate is set up, it will be faster still:

  slocate messages syslog

However, it will produce false hits, which can (mostly) be weeded out
with egrep:

  slocate messages syslog | egrep '/(messages|syslog)$'

> I'm still not good at these two powerful tools, but these will find these
> files, IF Corel linux name these file like other distributions.

But the real answer is to look at:

  /etc/syslog.conf

On my Red Hat system, that has the paths of all sorts of logging files.
If you don't have that, something in the /etc/rc.d tree has to be setting
up where logging occurs. E.g., run:

  fgrep syslogd /etc/rc.d/init.d/*

If you find a command like:

  daemon syslogd -f FILENAME

then use FILENAME instead of /etc/syslog.conf. If you find a command
like:

  daemon syslogd -m 0

Then your system uses the default /etc/syslog.conf.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.ocston.org/~thull/