Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Diplomacy

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Diplomacy
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:51:47 +0100

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 02:29:46PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> I don't think it should be challenging to get in diplomatic contact with
> one of your friends.

But with neutral or hostile opponents?

Perhaps treaties should be possible upon contact.  But sharing any
resources or maps shouldn't be.

What about an invisible diplomat?  (Like a submarine.)

> > > - AI diplomacy (coming soon) is much more fun this way.
> >
> > Ok thats a technical reason. I can't comment on this.
>
> It is not (very) technical. It just takes forever for the AI (or you) to
> get embassies with each other.

Why?  Use goto (which the AI does anyway).  Diplomats are cheap.
Play with diplchance set to 100.

> No, I want to be able to do treaties when you have (embassy OR recent
> contact).
>
> This makes easier for example a game style where you are supposed to ally
> the first other player you find in a two vs two game.

Not much easier.  You can play for hours before finding a player.
Once the player is found sending a diplomat takes about 10 turns.

--
Reinier