Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Diplomacy

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Diplomacy
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:28:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, John Wheeler wrote:
> > I do agree that having to establish an embassy with a
> > diplomat before conducting any diplomacy is a major
> > pain.However, I don't like the idea that just
> > because one person sent around a trireme many
> > centuries ago, he can do allthe diplomacy he wants.
> > (Think of Leif Ericson and the Native Americans
> > exchanging technology in 1400.) Rather, I would prefer
> > that diplomacy requires either an embassy or *being
> > in* contact, i.e., having a unit adjacent to a unit of
> > the target country.
>
> If we implement it as "embassy OR adjacent to unit of target nation",
> would anyone still want the old setting? I don't want to add more useless
> and unused server settings.

I like John's idea.  Maybe with an alteration: you can do diplomacy if you
have an embassy or had a unit adjacent to the target nation's unit/city
this turn.  Then make_contact can be easily adapted to save the turn the
contact was made and diplo code can check this trun to be current.

I am against a server option because it defeats the main purpose behind
Per's request -- to make AI diplomacy easier.

G.