Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Diplomacy

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Diplomacy
From: John Wheeler <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:29:50 -0800 (PST)

Okay, I object :-)

I do agree that having to establish an embassy with a
diplomat before conducting any diplomacy is a major
pain.  However, I don't like the idea that just
because one person sent around a trireme many
centuries ago, he can do all the diplomacy he wants.
(Think of Leif Ericson and the Native Americans
exchanging technology in 1400.) Rather, I would prefer
that diplomacy requires either an embassy or *being
in* contact, i.e., having a unit adjacent to a unit of
the target country.

In general, I say whenever something can drastically
affect gameplay, make it a server variable (e.g.
diplomacyoncontact/embassyoncontact = [0,1]) so the
people playing the game can choose which behavior they
want.

Of course, I'm not doing the coding, so feel free to
ignore me.

++JohnWheeler