Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Civilization the board game

To: "freeciv" <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Civilization the board game
From: "Brandon Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 02:00:37 -0700

> > And I'd agree with them.  It's their game, after all.  As I said
> > before, as a Freeciv player I'd be happy to pay a royalty fee to
> > Microprose for playing Freeciv.  Or even to Hasbro.
>
> No, it's not. It's the game of the company publishing the original
BOARD
> GAME! Avalon Hill IIRC.

Have you ever seen, let alone played, the Avalon Hill board game
"Civilization" to know what you're talking about?  It's a completely
different game.  There are no Settlers.  There are no different unit
types, only Cities, Populace, and Ships.  There are no Minerals.  There
is no Gold (as anything other than a particular trade commodity).  There
is Food, but the amount of food production in a territory is fixed, and
cities do not grow in size.  There is no regular square grid.  All the
mechanics are based on turning up cards.  Trading is handled by furious
card exchanges that Sid Meyer's Civilization simply doesn't have.
There's a tech tree, but it's nothing remotely resembling Civ II's tech
tree.  For one thing the techs only go from the Agricultural Revolution
to the Iron Age.  There's also a thing called the Archaeological
Succession Table, victory is achieved by moving fastest along this
table.  The games are as different as Civ II is different from Magic The
Gathering.  The only thing they have in common is that they both have
the word "Civilization" in their title.

Cheers,             Infernal Troublemaker                    Troll
Mallor              "By simple mistake, mortals themselves amuse."