Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] copyright obsolete?

To: "freeciv" <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] copyright obsolete?
From: "Brandon Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:09:33 -0700

> a) information has no owners

The laws of all countries very much disagree with you.  It all depends
on what *kind* of information it is.

> b) they didn't wrote a single line of freeciv

Hasbro bought the company, Microprose, that did.  Legally speaking,
companies can own other companies.

> Copyright is obselete idea.
> Obselete by technology.
> If you need to give someone money due to any random reason, give it,
> but don't claim others should do it because of this reason.

Let me ask you this: how do you pay your bills?  Do you have a job?  Do
you think people are entitled to your labor for free?  How do you think
the tangible products of your labor should be protected?  Or do you
think labor should never have a tangible product?  If so, I have a
difficulty seeing how anyone would ever get anything done, as there
would be no permanent storage of human labor.  We'd have to constantly
re-make everything.

Cheers,             Infernal Troublemaker                    Troll
Mallor              "By simple mistake, mortals themselves amuse."