Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: copyright obsolete?

To: Brandon Van Every <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: copyright obsolete?
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 03:54:44 +0200

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 04:09:33PM -0700, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> > a) information has no owners
>
> The laws of all countries very much disagree with you.  It all depends
> on what *kind* of information it is.

The laws of all countries are very much anti-freedom in general.

If state can get some control over information flow by inventing
"IP", it will invent "IP", and this is the most important reason
why "IP" laws exists.

> > b) they didn't wrote a single line of freeciv
>
> Hasbro bought the company, Microprose, that did.  Legally speaking,
> companies can own other companies.

Microprose didn't wrote a single line of freeciv neither

> > Copyright is obselete idea.
> > Obselete by technology.
> > If you need to give someone money due to any random reason, give it,
> > but don't claim others should do it because of this reason.
>
> Let me ask you this: how do you pay your bills?  Do you have a job?  Do
> you think people are entitled to your labor for free?  How do you think
> the tangible products of your labor should be protected?  Or do you
> think labor should never have a tangible product?  If so, I have a
> difficulty seeing how anyone would ever get anything done, as there
> would be no permanent storage of human labor.  We'd have to constantly
> re-make everything.

What
 ownership  of   tangible items
have to do with