Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement

To: Dominik Kubla <dominik.kubla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:25:15 -0500

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 10:21:45AM +0200, Dominik Kubla wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 09:12:45PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> > And I'd agree with them.  It's their game, after all.  As I said
> > before, as a Freeciv player I'd be happy to pay a royalty fee to
> > Microprose for playing Freeciv.  Or even to Hasbro.
>
> No, it's not. It's the game of the company publishing the original BOARD
> GAME! Avalon Hill IIRC.

        Hasbro bought both Microprose and Avalon Hill.  They own both sides
of the debate.  (Microprose had bought the original publisher of the board
game Civilization, Hartland Trefoil, long before.)
        The only company ever associated with a Civilization product
which is not now owned by Hasbro is Activision, makers of Civ:CTP.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."