Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: copyright issue

To: "Brandon Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: copyright issue
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:21:20 +1000 (EST)

"Brandon Van Every" wrote:

>  Rules are copyrightable intellectual property in case you're not aware.

This seems a strong claim to me, since the usual explanation of
copyright is that it protects _expression_, and not, for example,
ideas.  So I could see that specific text describing the rules
would be protected by copyright (eg, a game manual), but not the
abstract rules themselves.  OTOH it could be that "game rules" are
protected as intellectual property in some other way (that is, other
than copyright), which would be interesting to hear.  IANAL etc.

Regards,
-- David