Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement

To: Freeciv List <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:15:31 +0200

On 2000-07-19 14:35:25, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> > I would think we're pretty much in the clear.  Freeciv is in effect a clean
> clone
> > of CivII, in that the developers did not work from Microprose's copyrighted
> code, but
> > just aimed to replicate the effects.
>
> What effects you replicate is exactly the sort of test that the lawyers apply
> for copyright infringement.  Anyways, argue it in misc.legal.computing, not
> with
> me.  I think you're very much mistaken about being in the clear.  In fact, it
> seems as though you're operating without a legal paddle in the water.

I did read misc.legal.computing and I'm certainly not worried so far...
Maybe that's the reason You don't see much discussion there...
I don't mind that You bring this up but I feel that not much of any
greater importance has really been said so far...

Sure, there is a point in making Civ content like names and number
(data) independent of the engine but we're allready going in that
direction and have been for quite some time...

Cloning Civ certainly isn't why I'm here...
I'm here because I want to be able to modify the game I play - I have
always been really bugged when I run into bugs or things I don't like in
games and have no way to change them... To me the fun is not playing the
game but evloving it... In a way I never could do with a commercial
game... It's not the same thing - it's a new thing...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)