Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Cc: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:12:45 +0200

> It really depends on how successful FreeCiv is on the platforms that
> Hasbro wants to sell on;

This is one good reason not to have a Windows version.

> if they feel that FreeCiv is going to cost
> them $2 million in revenue, they'll give $1 million of that to their
> lawyers and say "shut it down".

And I'd agree with them.  It's their game, after all.  As I said
before, as a Freeciv player I'd be happy to pay a royalty fee to
Microprose for playing Freeciv.  Or even to Hasbro.

I can't imagine how to generalize Civilization into something else.
It can be a better and more general Civilization  - Freeciv proves that -
but to remove the exact Civ I or II rules would be just cosmetics.

--
Reinier Post