Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] feed the troll

To: "freeciv" <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] feed the troll
From: "Brandon Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 02:06:23 -0700

> - This is a freeciv list, not a copyright or politics discussion
> list. Please stay on topic and please do not feed the troll.

Indeed, if I saw evidence that some of you were actually taking up the
discussion in misc.legal.computing to get genuine clarity on these
matters, I'd be happy to stop talking here.  Until then, I'm more
inclined to sow seeds of unrest among you about what kind of legal
grounds you're really on.  I think some of you have your doubts about
what you're doing being legit, and I think there are good reasons for
you to have those doubts.

Anyways, my stake in the matter is educational.  I'm trying to be a
commercial game developer, and I don't like seeing commercial game
developers being ripped off.  I believe the long term strategy is to
educate the gamers and so-called Free Software developers about what
Intellectual Property is and isn't, and what ripping people off does and
doesn't mean.

I will happily do my best to contact the authors and owners of Civ II at
any time, if you really want the most direct clarification possible of
what they think of your activities.  If enough of you say the word, I'll
track it down.

Cheers,             Infernal Troublemaker                    Troll
Mallor              "By simple mistake, mortals themselves amuse."